Yesterday’s headlines paint a gloomy picture for the future of investment in Australian research and development.
Innovation leaders are calling the cuts to R&D “mean-spirited” , “a stunning lost opportunity” and “a slap in the face” to Australian start ups, researchers, and forward-thinking corporates, with our own Ben Potter declaring “the national innovation agenda is dead”.
But in an increasingly competitive regional and global market, failure to innovate is no longer an option.
Will Labor policy provide the direction – and the funding – we need to ensure the next generation of great Australian technologies companies and industries? And what can Australian businesses and research organisations do to develop their own capacity for successful innovation?
At this critical juncture for the innovation community, the Australian Financial Review is pleased to announce our 2019 Innovation Summit, 29-30 July 2019 at the Sofitel Wentworth, Sydney.
Join us as we explore the concept of “ambidextrous” organisations and economies, that are able to balance the demands of the present with a vision of the future.
Who will hold that vision for Australia?
Opening remarks |
Michael Stutchbury, Editor-in-Chief, The Australian Financial Review
Clare Harding, Chief Transformation Officer, Deloitte
INCLUDING VIDEO MESSAGE FROM
The Hon Karen Andrews MP, Minister for Industry, Science & Technology
OPENING ROUNDTABLE | The big picture
- Australia’s innovation scorecard – getting real on Australia’s strategy and performance
- Why has innovation been so politically toxic?
- What is our obligation to the future on innovation, inequality and the environment?
- US vs China – is Australia at a crossroads on technology, collaboration and security?
Maile Carnegie, Group Executive, Digital and Australia Transformation, ANZ & Director, Innovation and Science Australia
Dr Larry Marshall, Chief Executive, CSIRO
Rob Hillard, Chief Strategy & Innovation Officer, Deloitte
Bill Ferris AC, Co-Founder, CHAMP Private Equity & former Chair, Innovation and Science Australia
IN CONVERSATION | Technology – a force for good
Richard White, CEO WiseTech Global
ROUNDTABLE | Scaling up: the weak link in Australia’s innovation ecosystem
- How do we help start-ups and SMEs achieve scale and go global?
- Are our capital flow and investment settings having the optimal effect?
- How can we encourage business formation and stimulate competition?
Daniel Petre AO, Founder & Partner, Airtree Ventures
Dr Kate Cornick, CEO, LaunchVic
Dr Simon Poole, Director – New Business Ventures, Finisar
Sam Kroonenburg, CEO & Founder, A Cloud Guru
Networking and refreshment break
KEYNOTE | Bringing AI to life
Tim Reed, CEO, MYOB
ROUNDTABLE | The impact of big tech
- Big Tech has been a major driver of innovation – but does its dominance stifle external innovation and competition?
- ‘Unavoidable business partners’: what are the unintended consequences of Big Tech’s ubiquity for other companies?
- What ethical responsibility do tech companies have? And can they be held accountable?
Melanie SIlva, Managing Director, Google Australia & New Zealand
Sunita Bose, Managing Director, DIGI
Dr Rob Nicholls, Senior Lecturer, School of Taxation and Business Law UNSW Sydney
Nerida O’Loughlin, Chair and Agency Head, Australian Communications and Media Authority
KEYNOTE | Restoring trust in a digital world
Charles Walton, Senior Vice President, Digital Identity Products, Mastercard USA
Lunch & networking break
INTERNATIONAL KEYNOTE | The innovation bottom line
Nigel Whitehead, Chief Technology Officer, BAE Systems UK
ROUNDTABLE | How do we lift corporate investment in genuine R&D?
Kathy Connell, Senior Director, New Ventures, ANZ, Johnson & Johnson Innovation
Andrew Stevens, Chair, Innovation and Science Australia
Serg Duchini, R&D Lead, Deloitte
Dr Andrew Nash, Senior Vice President, Research, CSL
IN CONVERSATION | Space 2.0
Dr Todd Mansell, Chief of Science, Strategy & Program Division, DST
Anthony Murfett, Deputy Head, Australian Space Agency
Networking and refreshment break
ROUNDTABLE | Funding dysfunction: Optimising government research spend
- Do the various different forms of government research funding work together as part of a clear strategy? Or do they reinforce the siloisation of research efforts, resulting in missed opportunities and slower progress?
- Should university research be aligned with the nation’s overall transformation strategy? And with around two-thirds of it now self-funded, how could this be achieved?
- How could we better incentivise cross-sector and cross-agency collaboration? Should it attract a higher R&D tax incentive?
Vicki Thomson, Chief Executive, Go8
Professor Alex Zelinksy AO, Vice Chancellor, University of Newcastle
Professor Anne Kelso AO, CEO, NHMRC
Mike Molinari, Managing Director, IP Group Australia
ROUNDTABLE | Society 2.0: Evolving our workforce and institutions to catch up with technology
- How can we get the skills we need for the future economy?
- How can we ensure the benefits of innovation are shared by all?
- Protecting consumer rights, privacy and social welfare in the age of technological disruption
Professor Emma Johnston AO, President, Science & Technology Australia
Adrian Turner, CEO, CSIRO’s Data61
Sarah Tang, Vice-President, Enterprise, Freelancer.com
Steven Worrall, Managing Director, Microsoft Australia
CLOSE OF DAY ONE & NETWORKING DRINKS
Opening remarks | Opening remarks from the Technology Editor
Paul Smith, Technology Editor, The Australian Financial
International keynote | Scaling Edges – How to grow your large-scale transformation muscle
Duleesha Kulasooriya, Managing Director, Deloitte Centre for the Edge, Silicon Valley
CEO ROUNDTABLE | The challenge of leading an ambidextrous organisation
- How should leaders balance the needs of the present with the imperatives of the future?
- How are CEOs making decisions about investment and metrics for success?
- What is the right culture for innovation, and how can leaders create it?
- Should corporate innovation efforts be integrated, centralised or spun out?
Andrew Penn, CEO, Telstra
Andrew Bassat, CEO, SEEK
Dig Howitt, CEO & President, Cochlear
Brett Redman, Managing Director & CEO, AGL
INTERVIEW | Balancing innovation, risk and trust in a transforming market
Andy Purdy, Chief Strategy Officer, Huawei Technologies USA
Jodie Auster, General Manager, Uber Eats Australia, New Zealand
ROUNDTABLE | The mindset of an entrepreneur
Lucy Liu, Co-Founder & President, Airwallex
Vanessa Matthijssen, Strategy Partner, Consumer Products Sector lead Australia, Deloitte
Phillip Kingston, Founder & CEO, Sargon
Dr Catriona Wallace, CEO & Founder, Flamingo Ai
Networking & refreshment break
IN DEPTH | Buzzword bingo: sorting through the hype
- How can new technology trends be leveraged in key industries?
- What will generate real competitive advantage?
- What should business leaders be doing right now to seize the advantage?
Professor Salah Sukkarieh, Professor of Robotics and Intelligent Systems, The University of Sydney
Dr Peter Stanski, Head of Solution Architecture Australia & New Zealand / CTO, Amazon Web Services
Dr Catriona Wallace, CEO & Founder, Flamingo Ai
Lee Hickin, National Technology Officer, Microsoft Australia
Danny Gilligan,Co-founder & Acting CEO, Data Republic, Co-founder and Managing Director, Reinventure Group
KEYNOTE | Enterprise transformation today, for tomorrow
Steve Day, EGM Infrastructure, Cloud and Workplace, NAB
DIRECTORS ROUNDTABLE | The board’s challenge to drive innovation?
- Balancing risk and innovation for long-term gain
- Do boards have the mindset, skills and expertise they need?
Alison Deans, Non- Executive Director, Ramsay Health Care, Westpac Banking Corporation & Cochlear
John Lord AM, Chairman, Huawei Technologies Australia
David Kirk, Chairman & Co-Founder, Bailador Technology Investments & Chairman, Kathmandu
Adir Shiffman, Executive Chairman, Catapult Sports
Closing remarks and end of summit & lunch
Managing Director, Deloitte Centre for the Edge, Silicon Valley
Managing Director, Google Australia & New Zealand
Managing Director, Microsoft Australia
Bill Ferris AC
Co-Founder, CHAMP Private Equity & former Chair, Innovation and Science Australia
Managing Director & CEO, AGL
Dr Larry Marshall
Chief Executive, CSIRO
Vice-President, Enterprise, Freelancer.com
CEO WiseTech Global
Group Executive, Digital and Australia Transformation, ANZ & Director, Innovation and Science Australia
EGM Infrastructure, Cloud and Workplace, NAB
President & Co-Founder, Airwallex
Chair, Innovation & Science Australia
Dr Catriona Wallace
CEO & Founder, Flamingo Ai
CEO, CSIRO’s Data61
Dr Kate Cornick
Professor Salah Sukkarieh
The University of Sydney
Chief Technology Officer, BAE Systems
Chairman, Catapult Sports
Chief Strategy & Innovation Officer, Deloitte
Professor Anne Kelso AO
CEO & Founder, A Cloud Guru
R&D Lead, Deloitte
Professor Alex Zelinksy AO
Vice Chancellor, University of Newcastle
Dr Todd Mansell
Chief of Science, Strategy & Program Division, DST
Chief Transformation Officer, Deloitte
Chief Strategy & Innovation Officer, Deloitte
Daniel Petre AO
Founder & Partner, Airtree Ventures
General Manager, Uber Eats Australia, New Zealand
Managing Director, IP Group Australia
National Technology Officer, Microsoft Australia
Dr Rob Nicholls
Senior Lecturer, School of Taxation & Business Law UNSW Australia
Managing Director, DIGI
Chair and Agency Head, Australian Communications and Media Authority
Professor Emma Johnston AO
President, Science and Technology Australia
Senior Director, New Ventures, ANZ, Johnson & Johnson Innovation
Director, Ramsay Health Care
Strategy Partner, Consumer Products Sector lead Australia, Deloitte
Dr Peter Stanski
Head of Solution Architecture Australia & New Zealand / CTO, Amazon Web Services
John Lord AM
Chairman, Huawei Technologies Australia
Co-founder & Acting CEO, Data Republic, Co-founder and Managing Director, Reinventure Group
Chairman & Co-Founder, Bailador Technology Investments & Chairman, Kathmandu
Chief Strategy officer, Huawei Technologies USA
Editor-in-Chief, The Australian Financial Review
Technology Editor, The Australian Financial Review
Dr Simon Poole
Director – New Business Ventures, Finisar
Deputy Head, Australian Space Agency
- Advanced Manufacuting Growth Centre (AGMC)
- Altus Traffic
- ARC Centre of Excellence for Quantum Computation & Communication, UNSW Sydney
- Asurion LLC
- Australian Academy of Technology & Engineering
- Australian CleanTech
- Australian Private Equity & Venture Capital Association Ltd
- Australian Taxation Office
- BAE Systems Australia
- Baillieu Holst
- BCAL Diagnostics Pty Ltd
- Blackbird Ventures
- Boeing Australia & New Zealand
- British High Commission
- Burnet Institute
- Challenger Limited
- Chase Consulting
- Chatsworth Associates
- Cicada Innovations
- Cook Medical
- Crazy Might Work
- Crescent Wealth
- CSBP Ltd
- Deakin University
- Deloitte Australia
- Department of Industry
- Department of Industry Innovation
- Department of Industry, Innovation & Science
- Dept of Industry, Innovation & Science
- Dept of the Attorney- General & Justice
- DSITI- Queensland Government
- EBL Disability Services
- Edison Group
- Energy QLD
- Energy Queensland
- Fairfax Media
- F-OFF: Fear of Failure Forum
- Foley Durham
- Food Innovation Australia Ltd
- Future Fund
- Garvan Institute of Medical Research
- Gretals Australia PTY LTD
- Innovation & Science Australia
- Innovation and Science Australia
- Innovative Manufacturing CRC
- Institute of Public Accountants
- Intent Global Pty Ltd
- Job Capital
- Johnson and Johnson Innovation
- King & Wood Mallesons
- Laing O’Rourke
- Lighthouse Strategies
- Magnify Innovation
- Marubeni Australia Limited
- METS Ignited
- Monash University
- MyPass Global
- NATSPEC Construction Information
- Novartis Pharmaceuticals Australia
- Office of National Assessments
- Ogilvy Public Relations
- Oil Search Ltd
- Owenell Global Consultancy
- Pathfinder Consulting Group Pty Ltd
- Powershop Australia & Meridian Energy Australia
- Rasmax Consultants
- Refraction Media
- Replenish Earth
- Richard A Bobb Chartered Accountants
- Rural Industries RDC Charles Sturt University
- SHAVIK Smarter Integrated Software
- Singularity University
- Sprout X
- Standards Australia
- Stanley and Co.
- Stone & Chalk
- Sydney School of Entrepreneuship
- Terem Technologies
- The Australian Financial Review
- The Ethics Centre
- The University of Melbourne
- The University of Technology
- Universities Australia
- University of Adelaide
- University of Wollongong
- Western Sydney University
- Zenda Life Foods
Standard rate – from 01 June 2019
- START UPS & SMES RATE: $795 + GST
- GOVT AND ACADEMIA: $2295 + GST
- GENERAL PRICING: $2995 + GST
* SME is defined as an organisation with fewer than 200 employees globally